Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sunday Morning Snow Reflections

Ahhhhhh. The snow is beautiful. And I can't help enjoying it even though it's bloody freezing out there and I don't have a coat that buttons over my HUGE belly (well rounder than usual--I shouldn't say huge now, because I've got 4 months to go and if I start thinking of myself as huge now then I'll be really miserable by the end).

Trouble is that it's Sunday. So lots of people will try but probably fail to make it to church. When I was younger (not that much younger) I used to pray to St. Nicholas for snow--partly because one year it really worked. But obviously Dad hates snow because attendance at church is down--which is fair enough really. Must be hard for him to get out of bed on Sunday morning thinking he's going to be one of a very few people.

Today my husband picked him up because he was snowed in. We spent our Christmas money on snow tires--which at the time made me really mad, but now I'm quite thankful. When you think of it, considering the conditions (which were pretty unlikely) they were the best Christmas present we could have given ourselves. It's hard to tell because the Weather Network people are such Indian givers (oo sorry ethnic slur --I'm told Welsh givers works too) but it looks like we really are going to have a White Christmas--pretty rare for this part of the world. And if that's the case, snow tires are the best gift we could get. Not because we need to drive to church or because we have to travel very far at all really. Nope, it means my husband can play taxi-man and pick up as many people who need a lift on Christmas as he can reach. After all, the more the merrier on Christmas morning-- at church I mean.

I'm still in my PJs sipping coffee because I've decided to skip my pre-Liturgy shower while Theo is at Matins--who wants to go out with wet hair (especially if you lost your only hat)? But it's early still and I just want to sit and enjoy the peacefulness of the trailer. Usually the traffic screams by at all hours. When the snow comes it's nice and quiet for a change.

But I can't help feeling a twinge of guilt about the whole snow thing and I'm not sure how to work it out in my head. I suppose when it comes down to it no one can control the weather so I shouldn't really feel guilty about the excitement and happiness I feel when it snows. It's not MY fault it's freezing and people are snowed in away from family or getting in car accidents. But then it IS sort of my fault that people are out freezing their asses off because they're homeless right? I mean not directly my fault. It's everyone's fault really. The main reason snow is so delightful is that I have a home and a warm coat and a bright shiny red kettle to make me hot cocoa. I can sit and watch the snow and enjoy the coziness of the house and the satisfaction of hearing the furnace kick in again. I can dress my kid up in woolies and force his mittens on and let him play outside and not worry about him freezing to death. Must be really hard to enjoy creation when you're poor and homeless.

What does that say about people who don't enjoy creation for what it is when they DO have a home and hearth? People who rail against the weather because it keeps the mall attendance down and profits bad. People who insist their employees turn up on a snow day because otherwise the company won't make as much-- even if the employees have to bus it in the freezing cold? Or leave their children without babysitters because the schools and daycares close, but the malls never do? (Ahem, can you tell I've been scarred by retail...?) It would be nice if, when it snowed like this, everything closed except churches and community halls and people's homes. Don't go to work-- stay home and make soup for the people freezing outside your door. That should be our FIRST job really. Our on call job. You know--in an ideal world.

Anyway, I've been blessed with a house and clothes and snow tires. So I'm going to enjoy what I've been given and at least pray for everyone out there who isn't enjoying it--whatever the reason, hearts too small or shoes too tight (or non-existent).

1 comment:

MacrinaQuin said...

I can sympathize with your assessment of the elicited joy brought on by the snowy weather and the White Wonderland outside. It really is a wonder. When I lived in Ontario and watched the snow falling outside our windows, or walking home from school, I could sense this overwhelming peace and a brightness of spirit come over me. Snow always reminded me of God's forgiveness, blanketing us in this pure, white, brilliant 'robe' and making us beautiful. Every flake that fell from the sky was a speck of Grace in my eyes.

Yesterday, I was enjoying the sight from our back 'porch' and was shocked that there was a bittersweet aftertaste in watching the snow, thinking of how much stress it causes people, and remembering that what represents a transcendent gift to me, is taken as a curse by others. It is a very sobering realization, as you have indeed mentioned. And definitely inspires one to pray for those around us.