Friday, January 23, 2009

Positive Discipline

So, I came across a book in Chapters today that I'm really interested in reading called "Positive Discipline for the Preschooler." Or something like that. Now I realise I'm proving to be more and more of what my friend calls a hippie-granola mom, but most people I know at least respect me for planning to properly and strictly discipline my kid. And because Theo is generally very very well behaved and good-natured (so far), people tend to attribute this to my brilliant disciplinary parenting skills. But to be honest, much as I would like to take the credit for Theo's good behaviour, I really can't say it has anything to do with me. He's just kinda like that. And I have a bad feeling he won't be like that for long.

So I've been toying on and off with the idea of positive disciplinary practices-- as opposed to punitive ones. Now for most people (including myself until recently) this translates into "parent opposed to spanking." And we all roll our eyes and privately nod to each other and think "HER kids are going to be a nightmare." And realistically I'm not against spanking at all. I haven't had to use it yet and my kid is still very young so the jury is out on how awful he'll be-- especially when minibaby arrives.

But the reason a lot of people react this way (I'm guessing) is that they turned out fine (and their parents spanked them) and their kids turned out well behaved (and they used spanking). Plus a lot of parents who don't spank really do turn out the most awful children, who have no respect for anyone, least of all their parents.

Also if parents choose to use spanking to discipline it's hard not to feel judged by a parent who avoids it. In fact, choosing to take any different approach to parenting than another person is sure to illicit defensiveness. Trouble is that there IS a lot of research proving that spanking is NOT the best disciplinary method, even if it works for some kids. It's not an exact formula. "Spare the rod, spoil the child" isn't necessarily the rule for every misbehaving kid. Some kids misbehave WORSE when spanking is used. Besides-- "the rod" itself doesn't necessarily mean a literal instrument of punishment.

I have found, so far, that this method seems to really fail on Theo. Of course it's a bit early to tell. We've only had occasion to swat his little hands once or twice, but every time it illicited screaming and crying and utter misery and I'm not completely sure he even learned his lesson. What he DID learn was that Mummy and Daddy might hit him if he doesn't do what they want and while that might seem like a good thing (ie he knows there are boundaries) I think ultimately it just made him lose trust in us and taught him to hit when people don't do what you want. Of course it's quite easy to gain a toddler's trust back, they're so understanding. But that's all the more reason why I wouldn't want to risk breaking it again--otherwise what seems to me like a good disciplinary practice is really just teaching him to be afraid of me-- and that's when I might find that he starts lying to me or something worse.

Obviously all of this is really just specualtive on my part since my kid is still pretty little and generally good-natured, so I'm not making sweeping judgements about people's disciplinary practices or defining what works best. All I know is my kid and I'm definitely a fan of the "do-what makes-you-sane" approach to anything regarding parenting.

The reason I'm interested in at least trying positive discipline is that it is not, like some people might assume, some fancy way of just being permissive to your kid and letting them be bratty so you can go about your business and ignore their bad behaviour. You know-- go be zen and praise your kid's destructive behaviour for being "assertive" or "creative" or some bullshit. As a matter of fact it's quite the opposite. It stresses being very interactive with your kid and learning to communicate with them in a way they understand-- which, sadly, takes a hell of a lot of patience and work-- something most of us just dinnae got time for. Especially when we're sleep deprived.

It also requires that parents treat their kids with respect and behave themselves too, which I think is a really good approach, but rather difficult for grown ups to accept. We expect kids to behave for us and treat us with politeness, but almost never teach by example. God knows, when Theo is getting in my way before dinner and trying to climb up my leg or "help" with dishes or something, my first reaction is to yell in frustration or say something that, to an adult, would be shockingly rude. Like "Theo! Can you just PISS OFF!!?? I'm trying to get dinner made!!" Needless to say this reaction never illicits a compliant response. He usually gets more and more frantic and upset and frustrated-- and so do I--until we're both at our wit's end.

I learned very quickly that if I took the time and inconvenience to show Theo the appropriate way to help with dishes (that is to say, how to help by not getting in my way) that he would be a lot happier and we could do things together without a fight. After all, it's not unreasonable for him to want to help out-- just inconvenient.

Of course some things are more dangerous than others. He can't really help with cooking or he might get burned. But the idea of a form of discipline that requires the parents to be disciplined and well-behaved themselves (as opposed to assuming that kids act out just because they're bad) definitely appeals to me. At least, I'm hoping if I try it, it might increase my ability to handle difficult situations without freaking out or dissolving into tears of frustration too.

4 comments:

Russell said...

The only problem that I have with positive discipline is that it doesn't actually address how to deal with negative behaviour.

I can't reward Chloe for not pulling Naomi's hair, because she hardly ever does it. If she got chocolate rewards, she'd be a porker and if she got a pat on the back she'd be flat.

When she does pull Chloe's hair, discipline is required. It doesn't have to be spanking, it can be a good talking to or a spell on the naughty step. Either is punishing bad behaviour.

Not that I'm against rewarding good behaviour. A smile and a thank you is the best way in the world to make sure that your kid continues to behave well.

Incidentally, it doesn't matter what you do with your kids, you will always find somebody who disapproves. Even if you don't, you will still feel like everybody does.

Rhiannon Gascoigne said...

Well I wouldn't describe a good talking to as punishment though. Or a time out--when it's used properly. In fact, as far as I read, positive discipline includes both of those methods for dealing with negative behaviour-- by neutralising it. The point is to learn to communicate with your kid-- not just yell at her that she's bad (which is what I tend to do). The idea is to figure out where the negative behaviour is coming from (not just assume that it's your kid's nature to be nasty) and then to teach them deal with whatever is causing the negative behaviour in a positive way.

So if Chloe is pulling Naomi's hair because she makes such a great squeak and she's just curious and too little to curb the impulse not to (especially because Naomi repeatedly rewards her with a terrific noise) then the positive approach would be to firmly tell Cloe "no" that it hurts Naomi and she doesn't like it. And then remove her from temptation-- repeatedly, until she gets the message: I'm not allowed to do that.

Like I said-- this method works really well on Theo. I dunno about any other kid. I've just foudn that swatting him or yelling at him just makes him ignore me and continue the behaviour or completely freak out.

Jennie said...

One thing I've noticed is that Naomi is more likely to do what I'm telling her when I whisper rather than shout. However, I struggle to remember this at the critical points.

I have friends who's mum so rarely raised her voice that when she did they knew they were in real trouble. I'd love to be like that but man it's hard!

Rhiannon Gascoigne said...

Yeah I'm bad about raising my voice-- it never works but it's basically what I do to lose my temper without being violent I think. So it's not that much better.

I find Theo responds best to positive physical interaction-- like when I tickle him or turn him upside down or something like that. Or just a change of scene. Taking him out on the porch. It's difficult to get his attention or persuade him to cooperate if I just try to use my voice-- loud or soft. Not sure why that is. I think it's a personality thing.