Friday, November 14, 2008

CHICK PEA FRY-UP

This recipe is my new Lenten favourite. I discovered quite recently, to my surprise, that Theo likes chick peas. I was never really sure about them to be honest because they have sort of a dry-ish texture. I like them in salads and sauces but I never felt I really knew what to do with them. Then I found this great recipe which I modified very slightly and it serves as a very tasty side dish or a small lunch.

CHICK PEA FRY-UP

1-2 cans of chick peas, rinsed and drained
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 red onion, chopped
1-2 medium tomatoes, chopped
salt
pepper
pinch of cayenne
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro

Heat oil in frying pan on medium heat. Add chick peas, red onion, salt and pepper (to taste). Gently fry for 3-5 minutes until chick peas start to brown. Add tomatoes and fry 2-3 minutes more. Remove from heat. Add a VERY small pinch of cayenne and the cilantro. Stir in and serve!

I think this would also be pretty yummy served cold as a salad or with and added clove of garlic and a tsp of pesto. Grate some cheddar on for toddlers, chidlren and folk who ain't fasting.

2 comments:

Kassianni said...

this sounds delish.
I love chick peas!

word verification: plappa

RW said...

Luke loved chickpeas when he was young!