Saturday, November 22, 2008

SUPER-MOM PEROGIES

Okay I had one of those days where I pretty much didn't get a break and was ready to eat someone's face off by the time I got home--literally and figurtively. I was THAT hungry and pissed off. Lucky for Greg he had to hive off to Vespers so he escaped. Anyway I had to come up with something filling, that had veggies and protein and calcium (for Theo and me). So I whipped up what I'm calling "Super-Mom Perogies" because it took me no more than 15 minutes to prepare and it was fantastic. It's not Lenten, but it includes my two Lenten staples: shrimp and perogies. Perogies are one of few convenience food items that I have to stock. They're starchy and they probably have a lot more additives in them than I'd like to believe, but I can't imagine tofu being any better for you really and these puppies fill you up quick. I can't do Lent without them. Especially on days when my original plans go awry and I really just need to get food on the table fast. And it can be easily adapted for fasting parents (unless they're label-readers) and non-fasting kiddies. If you're that hardcore. Also very yummy in Cheesefare week.

SUPER-MOM PEROGIES

--5-10 non-cheesy, non-meaty perogies per person (10 for big men, 5 for kids, toddlers can manage maybe two...)
--2-3 cups of broccoli (for a family of say 4)
--1/2 to 1 cup of frozen shrimp
--1-2 tbsp butter
--1/2 tsp garlic salt
--pepper to taste
--1-2 tsp dill
--1-2 tsp flour
--1/4 cup milk
--1/4-1/2 c of cheddar, shredded

Put on a pot of boiling water. Add broccoli and cook 5 minutes. Add perogies and cook another five minutes.

While the perogies and broccoli are boiling melt butter in a skillet on medium heat. Add shrimp and fry a couple of minutes until they are thawed and warming up. Add garlic salt and pepper and dill.

At this point if parents are fasting and kiddies aren't, remove and cover the adult portion of shrimp (it'll be nice and juicy even without the tasty sauce).

Then add a wee bit more butter to the pan and melt it. Add the flour, (and you have to be quick about this) dive in with a spatula in one hand and the milk in the other and mix it really quick so that the flour doesn't get lumpy in the milk, (you're basically making a white sauce). When it's nicely mixed and the consistency of a light cream sauce (not too runny) add the cheese and stir it in till it's melted.

At this point, the perogies and broccoli should be cooked to perfection. Turn off all the heat and strain the broccoli and perogies in a colander. Serve the perogies and broccoli on the plates first and add to each a few spoonfuls of the shrimp and juicy or creamy sauce. Voila! The yummiest perogies ever! In 15 minutes. Yay for Super-mom!

1 comment:

Kassianni said...

I absolutely LOVE perogies.
I had some once at St.Herman's in Edmonton that were homemade by the ukrainian ladies there. YUM!!
I could have kept eating until I exploded! they were so good.
I will have to try my own someday.
when I get brave.